• Rob B
    March 7, 2014 at 10:05 pm #25440

I’ve just been trying to clean up the interface for adding and entering properties, which seems to be all controlled in wpestate > libs > properties.php. I have a few questions about what I can change in this file without wrecking anything.

When I’ve changed a few minor things, new properties that I enter don’t show up in searches unless I revert to the original properties.php file. I’m wondering about safer ways of changing things.

1) First, is there a way to make my child theme load properties.php from my own version of properties.php in my child theme, similar to what happens when you have a template of the same name in your parent and child themes in WordPress (where WP will use your child theme’s version rather than the parent theme’s)? It would be nice if I didn’t have to modify anything in the parent wpestate theme at all – this would be really helpful for updates and so on.

2) Is there a proper way to add basic fields to the layout? Or do I have to modify mysql in any way? Or other functions/files?

For example, I need to add a second measurement field (a basic text field). The way a field appears to be made in properties.php is by doing this:

<p class="meta-options">
            <label for="property_county">'.__('County: ','wpestate').'</label><br />
            <input type="text" id="property_county"  size="40" name="property_county" value="' . esc_html(get_post_meta($mypost, 'property_county', true)) . '">

So if I wanted to add a “Lot Dimensions”, is it as simple as doing this?

<p class="meta-options">
            <label for="property_lot_dimensions">'.__('Lot Dimensions: ','wpestate').'</label><br />
            <input type="text" id="property_lot_dimensions"  size="40" name="property_lot_dimensions" value="' . esc_html(get_post_meta($mypost, 'property_lot_dimensions', true)) . '">

And if I wanted to remove the county field, would it be as simple as commenting out a field with “<!– and –>” ?

Just wondering if there is any other place I would have to make changes.

3) Is it okay to rename the categories for easier labelling for our particular use of WP Estate, for instance in this code:

// add custom taxonomy
    register_taxonomy('property_city', 'estate_property', array(
        'labels' => array(
            'name'              => __('City','wpestate'),
            'add_new_item'      => __('Add New City','wpestate'),
            'new_item_name'     => __('New City','wpestate')
        'hierarchical' => true,
        'query_var' => true,
        'rewrite' => true,

and change the label on the field to
    'name' => __('Cities','wpestate'),

…without affecting anything?

4) Finally, is there a way to make Sales (as opposed to rentals) a Default Category?

Thanks again,

Rob B
    March 8, 2014 at 2:39 am #25537

* Just to clarify, when I say “without wrecking anything,” I mean “what fields and labels can I change without having Advanced Search problems when properties are searched?”

I am asking because aside from the problems with the search engine that happen (properties entered when I am using my version of properties.php don’t show up, even though I have just modified labels and fields, everything works great.)

March 8, 2014 at 1:23 pm #25590

Hi Rob,

For item 1 –
    Yes, you can use child theme, but it depends on what modifications you have and how comfortable you are with WordPress devel. It’s easier to make in child theme only the additional change. You may need to de-register and register again some functions to work.

For item 2:
    To add more fields, use the Theme Options – Property Custom Fields options. Does exactly what you need. You can use this help http://help.wpestatetheme.org/#customfields
    And if you have questions, just let me know.

To remove fields, some items in Address are asked by the “pin to map” button. County and State are not mandatory, so you can just comment them. You’ll need to comment then in front end submission form as well.

For item 3:
    Yes, sure you can re-label those fields. Create a “translate” .po file and re-name them in .po I explain here the steps. http://wpestate.org/forums/topic/edit-labels-for-all-cities-all-states-all-listings-and-all-types-in-english/

It’s really easy to modify terms in .po (takes like 5 minutes) and you don’t need to worry about child theme.

For item 3:
    Categories are listed in alphabetical order.
    You can change the filter order, but not sure at this moment how.
    Look into libs/templates/front-end-submission.php and user-dashboard-add.php (the filter is in one of these 2) Let me know if you found it or if you need more help.

Thank you

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.